Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Games I'm looking forward to: Skyrim

It was really late to the latest generation of gaming consoles... well not late but all I had was a Wii. That may seem like a harsh statement but unfortunately all I've really enjoyed on the Wii this generation has been the first party titles.  The Wii is a great console and I salute Nintendo for not bowing to the powers that be and wanting to have the most powerful console. Nintendo focused on fun, and all their first party games have all been a blast. Unfortunately developers don't seem to be as on board as most of the big name third party titles these days are coming out for the PS3 and 360. When I finally got my own 360 3 or 4 years ago (probably less actually) I felt like an entire generation of previously unknown games were opened to me.  I've become a big fan of games that let you choose your own path (namely Oblivion), and titles such as Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, as well as Saints Row 2 and Mass Effect have become a large part of my gaming nowadays.  So that I don't get too hyped and waiting becomes torture I've purposefully not looked at much stuff about Skyrim, but its definitely on my list of most looked forward to games.  Oblivion was a huge time sink for me, so I can only imagine what Skyrim will do to my free time (and probably some time that I don't have to spend).  I'm excited to see the kind of changes they are making to the leveling system, and also interested to see how the new perks system will work. To me it looks like a unique blend of rpg leveling, and Fallout 3's perk system. Although very similar, Fallout and Oblivion had a very different feel. I hope that they maintain that Elder Scrolls feel in Skyrim and that I don't feel like I'm playing medieval Fallout.  Atmosphere is something that can easily make or break a game. There are tons of games that have more features than say Zelda Ocarina of Time, but why is it OOT is the only game I've sat down to beat in one night? (As far as games that take a long time to beat). OOT's atmosphere was a product of the game's freshness and innovation at the time, and the game itself. Nothing can really surpass that....not yet anyway. I look forward to the day a new classic can be created. Regardless I feel like this has gotten off topic.  The current game I'm waiting on is Skyrim. What's yours?

Skyrim character idea:

Argonian warrior named Sucks-at-Spells

No comments:

Post a Comment